Thursday, August 9, 2012

Open Letter to Verizon...

To whom it may concern:

I purchased, with much anticipation, the Verizon edition of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus on release day here in Western North Carolina.  I choose this phone due to it being a top-of-the-line "Google-experience" phone-a phone with stock Android (or as close to it as you can get), unlocked boot loaders, and timely updates (thus being a Nexus device).  I bought this phone to be used as my sole business phone.

Let me explain the extent of my disappointment...

On day one, there was an update to Android 4.0.2.  Great, timely updates (well, not really.  More on this later...)!  After updating, I set up my phone.  Since the very first call, I have had the "mid-muting call issue" (See http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24019).  No... go read that page.

To summarize, the "issue" involves the following:

During a call (to any number), the other party will, at some point in the conversation, hear a series of beeps, garbled audio, then silence.  The phone call will still be active, and I can still hear everything being transmitted by the other phone.  The phone call is not dropped, and the call only ends when one of the two phones on the conversation end the call by "hanging up"-usually after I hear either "Hello?  You still there?" or "It is happening again.  Call me back from a land-line."

I complained to Verizon, and they have shipped me replacement phones.  Great!  Well, not really.... All of the phones Verizon has shipped me have the same problem!  Verizon continued to tell me a software update would fix the issue...

Verizon staff did, to their credit, offer me another model of phone in exchange for my Galaxy Nexus.  Let me explain why I turned them down...

First, Verizon staff offered me a Droid Razr.  I think the Razr is too thin.  The Razr did not, at the time, have Android 4.0. The "Refurbished Razr" was selling for $149, and I paid $299.  The principle of the issue is I paid $299 for the top-of-the-line Android Google-experience phone, and you offer me a phone I could buy for $149.  Why must I, your client, lose $150 when I did not cause this issue?  Verizon would not credit my account the additional $150.  As a client who did nothing wrong to mess up the phone or make it not function as a phone, I should not be out any money.

Second, Verizon offered me a HTC Rezound.  Same issues were involved.  The principle of the matter is I spent $299 for a phone, and Verizon is asking me to accept a $149 phone in exchange.  Not having done anything to cause the issue, Verizon asked me to lose $150 and accept a less-qualified phone.  To borrow from Microsoft, "Reallly?!"

Why, you might ask, is the $299 such an issue?  If I had bought a phone and dropped it in a pool, Verizon would have asked me to pay for a new replacement at full cost.  I would understand the request since I caused the phone to not work, and I would buy another phone.  In this case, I did nothing wrong.  Therefore, I should not be out any funds.  Verizon, if need be, should get the money from Samsung (if, in fact, it is an issue with the Via chip) or split the cost with Samsung (if it is an issue between the phone's hardware and the network).  The client, who is innocent, should not be asked to pay for anything...

In fact, I often stated Verizon should let those affected enter a corporate store, turn in their phone, and get a full refund to apply to any other phone.  This would have given Verizon a huge PR victory, and I would be singing your praises instead of, well, feeling like Verizon cares more for the contract than for me...

While waiting for the update that "would fix everything," I decided to purchase another phone (at a discounted rate-thank your Tampa office) until the software fix was released.  The Android 4.0.4 update was released in early June (5 months after being promised-this is the "later" I spoke about earlier).  The update did not fix the "issue."  I called Verizon to let them know, and they "insisted" the issue was fixed.  Right...  After discussing the "issue" with me, they "thanked me for calling to let them know" so they could let Samsung know... (Samsung still denies there is an issue, have repaired my phone once, and the "issue" remains).  Verizon tech support asked me to alter settings (wi-fi, blue-tooth, CDMA/LTE, etc.) to try and troubleshoot the phone.  I even ran it in "safe mode" and did all of the steps Verizon asked me to do.  The "issue" persisted in "Safe Mode" with no wifi, no BT, & while the phone was on 3G (CDMA only) service.  Verizon, through one of its Tech 2 staff who went up to their supervisor, worked out an exchange-a brand new Samsung SGSIII plus a car dock to replace my Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Why did I accept this?  While the SGSIII has a locked boot loader, it is "top-of-the-line" and ... get this ... the total cost of the phone and the car dock was .very close to $299.  Ah, the principle of the thing has been settled...

I called, on release day of the SGS III, and I was told that the Tech 2 (and his supervisor) made a mistake because Verizon did not exchange one model out for another.  Even though I told the tech and the manager to look at my account to verify that had, in fact, already happened on my account (which they verified), they told me "it was a mistake."  The second time I called, Verizon told me they had no phones in stock!  The third time I called, I was told that Verizon would be sending me a "refurbished SGS III"-which would not be available until August 15th at the earliest...

Remember "the principle?"  Now I am being told the new SGSIII is not an option but a refurbished phone is...  Go back to this thread at code.google ( http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24019) and see, near the end, where Verizon is shipping new SGSIII phones over-night to customers-the same agreement I had!

With this type of service, do you expect me to not start a blog?  Do you expect me to give up?  This is about "principle."

The 32GB SGSIII sells for $249 (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneOverviewByDevice&deviceCategoryId=1), and the car dock sells for Q$39.99 (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=refineByPhone&phoneId=5920).  This gets me close to my $299, and I was told we might be able to get the rest as a credit on my bill.  Principle...  I'd settle for the $289 at this point due to my frustration (which borders on despair).

What am I looking for from Verizon?  I am looking for Verizon to honor their agreement with me made on June 13, 2012.  Simply put, I have had to put up with a phone that does not work as a phone. I have had a $299 paperweight, and I ask that Verizon make it right. Send me a brand new SGS III and a brand new card dock.  Be honorable and don't make innocent customers pay for the error for which Samsung, Verizon, or both hold the blame.

Is that too much to ask?

Sincerely,

me...

No comments:

Post a Comment